Aqua Hub’s Hybrid Solar Dryers in Kenya are integrate multiple energy sources to enhance efficiency of drying food.
A hybrid solar dryer implements a combination of solar energy together with other energy sources such as battery power, heat, and biogas.
Why Hybrid Solar Dryers
Dependence on solar energy to dehydrate food substances is sometimes ineffective when the sun’s radiation is low. Therefore, to reduce drying times and enhance continuous drying activity, hybrid solar dryers should be adopted.
How long it takes to dry food?
Hybrid solar dryers take less time to dry food compared to natural solar dryers. The average time for drying vegetables and fruits is 2-3 days depending on the size of the produce and capacity of the dryer.
Features of a Hybrid Solar Dryer
- Since hybrid dryer implements both solar and heat energy, you need to build a greenhouse dryer structure with transparent polythene. The polythene cover works by allowing light inside the dryer and prevents heat loss.
- The structure needs ventilation or a fan that directs air into the solar dryer. The ventilation also loses moisture removed from food.
- The heat system consists of solar panel, energy storage batteries and heat transmitters which losses heat to the air to make it capable of removing moisture from food.
- An additional heat furnace (metallic box) should be available to supplement or work when the solar energy and stored battery power is unavailable. The furnace has a fan on the outside, charcoal burner, heat converter that is attached to the solar dryer, and insulation.
How do Hybrid Dryers work?
When air enters a hybrid dryer, it gains heat and circulates to the food racks, heats up moisture in the food and causes it to evaporate. Air attracts moisture and evaporates up. The cold air entering replaces the moist air and pushes it out of the structure.
Constructing Hybrid Solar Dryers in Kenya
To construct a hybrid solar dryer, you need to consider the size of the produce first to determine the size of the structure and furnace.
Once you know the produce, Aqua Hub Kenya helps you choose the suitable dimension for your produce.
Then, you need to know the suitability of your place for a solar dryer. It should be a good flat area with good drainage. If not, choose another suitable flat surface or make it flat.
Afterwards, Aqua Hub will weld and make you a sizeable furnace with a fan and enhanced features that suits your solar dryer.
The next step is to construct a solar dryer. Aqua Hub often constructs a solar dryer with ease and expertise.
Partitioning and building shelves is another step in making a solar dryer. Shelves sizes will also depend on the size of produce.
Lastly, installing the furnace and additional features including fans, battery and solar panels is done.
The structure is then complete and ready to use.
Advantages of Hybrid Solar Dryers
- Hybrid Solar dryers take less time to dry food.
- Food dries continuously in 24 hours.
- They are economical to use since solar energy and charcoal are cheap and available.
- It is easier to maintain.
- It can last for a long time since it is made up of durable materials.
- Hybrid dryers have a higher drying capacity.
What is the Cost of a Hybrid Solar Dryer in Kenya?
The cost of setting up a hybrid solar dryer can range from 150,000 to 1,000,000 Kenyan shillings as per size.
Reach out to us today for assistance, hybrid dryer purchases and construction projects.